Friday, March 18, 2011

Frikadeller - the healthy way!



The danish meatball, the so called frikadelle, is a delicacy if you ask me (and I bet a lot of other danes think so too). The thing is that I'm not too keen on all the fattiness that goes into making a true Frikadelle, so I decided to make a healthier, and maybe even yummier version of the oh so traditional Danish meatball. I made it a chicken-vegetable version, and trust me, they are so good!



I think this version would make any farmers wife in Jutland go "oh no you didn't!"



Anyways, here's how you make them;


What you need:
- 450 of minced chicken (or turkey) meat
- 1 big carrot, grated
- about 2dl of grated squash
- about 6 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- at least 1/2 dl of chopped fresh basil
- at least 1/2-1 dl of chopped fresh coriander
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 3 red chilies, chopped finely
- A thumb seize ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of grated lime (the shell...?)
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 egg 
- 2dl of oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 dl of sparkling water
- 1 teaspoon of salt (I use extremely little salt, so add more if you are a "salty" person;) but remember that you can always add salt in the frying process)
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of paprika

---I bet I used more spices than the mentioned above, so feel free to experiment. I think I might have used something like lemon-pepper and white pepper also...maybe? Oh well, that's what you get from being a floopy chef... I always go with the flow, adding stuff when I feel like it... But fresh herbs and cumin, it cant go wrong with that!

So here's how you make them:
- Mix al of the ingredients well together in big bowl, and after that, mix it with the sparkling water. Take a big frying-pan and heat up some olive oil (1 tablespoon)  together with a little peanut oil (or not, I only added that to get that "nutty" flavor. Take 2 tablespoons, and make small "balls" from the "dough" and place them on the hot frying-pan. They don't have to be round, and you can push them down a little on the pan, so they get that "flat" frikadelle look. When you have fried a pan full of meatballs (on both sides), take them off and put them in the oven to keep warm. Put on new oil and add new meatballs to the pan. Repeat this until you have used up all your "dough". Serve with what you want :) I chose a nice feta-olive-pot barley salad.
ENJOY!

Now have a nice weekend! I'm off to make us some steaks! Us girls we need our meat!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment